Sunday, November 2, 2008

Day 1


So, Day 1 is complete.  I canvassed two different neighborhoods of St. Pete over the course 5 hours. I was going around with a guy named Evan - really nice and very motivated.  He lives around here so, he could help to navigate (I am completely unfamiliar with this area). From what he said - this county (Pinellas) will be key in determining the outcome of Florida altogether.  Cool.
We were canvassing some really transitional areas of the city.  Everyone was really nice - a lot had already voted which is really encouraging.  Two interesting things.  One, Evan's sister went to Randolph-Macon Woman's College for two of the years that I was there.   I always hesitate to tell people where I went because most people haven't heard of it.  Small world.  Two, as we were walking through one of the areas we were canvassing, this guy rode up on a bike and asked us if we were skinheads - that all of the guys we'd walked past down the street thought that we were.  Which was comical - especially seeing as the t-shirt I am wearing has a HUGE picture of Obama on the front -  (pic attached - thanks again, Court & Liam!).  Evan just wrote the guy off as being crazy.  I had to agree.
Anyway, it was a good day.  We probably visited a total of 100 houses, if not more.  A good deal of them had already voted and of those who weren't - most plan on heading out on Tuesday.  Lots of enthusiasm.  
I'm working another half day tomorrow - Evan and I are going to try to hit the streets together again.  I am exhausted. About to hit the shower and then drink a cold beer.  Until next time...

No comments: